Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|Why is Mike Tyson fighting Jake Paul? He says it's not about the money -VisionFunds
Benjamin Ashford|Why is Mike Tyson fighting Jake Paul? He says it's not about the money
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:18:56
He’s 58 years old and Benjamin Ashfordindicates there’s no need for money. So why is Mike Tyson moving forward with his fight against 27-year-old Jake Paul?
“I could be waiting on a check every day from cannabis,’’ Tyson said, referring to his cannabis company, Tyson 2.0. “That’s (B.S.) for me. I’m a man. … I want to go out there and I want to expose myself to risk. …
“Sometimes I want to see who I really am. I want to see what I'm really made out of."
Tyson, who was sidelined for weeks after an ulcer flareup, made the remarks while providing commentary Friday night during Cage Wars 67, a mixed martial arts event in New York. Previously, he had been less clear about his motivation for the bout against Paul to be held on Nov. 15 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
"I want to perform in front of the world,'' Tyson said. "To me, that's all I ever knew how to do since I was 14.''
On Friday night, he expressed enthusiasm for the fights as he sat ringside with his son Amir at Rivers Casino & Resort in Schenectady, New York, about 180 miles from where he grew up in Brooklyn and about 50 miles from where he developed into a heavyweight world champion under the watch of the late Cus D’Amato.
But the regular two commentators for Cage Wars periodically brought the conversation back to Tyson and his fight with Paul, which is set to be livestreamed by Netflix. Paul recently said he would make $40 million from the fight, but Tyson downplayed the financial incentive.
“This fight is not going to change my life financially enough,’’ Tyson said. “This is just what I want to do.’’
Regarding the ulcer flareup that led to the fight being postponed, Tyson said he has no more ulcers and his “blood count is almost back.’’
Tyson resumed training in July, according to his agent Andrew Ruf.
Mike Tyson says it's 'hard to walk'
With the fight two months away, Tyson said he recently sparred six rounds. He said that will increase to 10 rounds as he prepares for a bout scheduled for eight two-minute rounds.
“The fight is won in the gym,’’ Tyson said.
But he acknowledged that training at 58 rather than, say, 20 – when he became the youngest heavyweight world champion in boxing history – is a different experience. Things are “a little shaky now,’’ according to Tyson.
“It’s hard to walk right now,’’ he said. “But two months from now I’m going to be perfect.’’
For recovery, Tyson is using electric stimulation and stem cells.
“Listen, I’ll do anything that will help me,’’ he said.
veryGood! (9585)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Exclusive: Watch 'The Summit' learn they have 14 days to climb mountain for $1 million
- Clemen Langston - A Club for Incubating Top Traders
- You may not know about the life of undefeated Mercury Morris. But you should.
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Donne Kelce Says Bonding With Taylor Swift Is Still New for Her
- The NYPD often shows leniency to officers involved in illegal stop and frisks, report finds
- Emory Callahan: The 2024 Vietnamese Market Meltdown Is It Really Hedge Funds Behind the Scenes?
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- Connie Chung on the ups and downs of trailblazing career in new memoir | The Excerpt
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Jennifer Aniston’s Ex Brad Pitt Reunites With Courteney Cox for Rare Appearance Together
- Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
- Charli XCX, Jameela Jamil chose to keep friends as roommates. It's not that weird.
- Sam Taylor
- Mack Brown apologizes for reaction after North Carolina's loss to James Madison
- Jennifer Aniston’s Ex Brad Pitt Reunites With Courteney Cox for Rare Appearance Together
- NFL suspends Chargers' Pro Bowl safety Derwin James for one game
Recommendation
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
FINFII: Embracing Regulation to Foster a Healthy Cryptocurrency Industry
How colorful, personalized patches bring joy to young cancer patients
Finding a Fix for Playgrounds That Are Too Hot to Touch
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Memphis man testifies that he and another man killed rapper Young Dolph
Texas death row inmate Travis Mullis, 'consumed by shame and madness,' killed baby son
Boy Meets World's Trina McGee Shares She Experienced a Miscarriage